Crown and Bridges
Here at Healthy Smiles, Dr. Wong offers both crowns and bridges for a number of cosmetic and functional situations.
If you are missing some of your teeth, don’t worry, the Healthy Smiles team can help you. We know that losing one or more teeth has an unwelcome impact socially and psychologically. That is why the Healthy Smiles team want you to understand what crown and bridge treatment can do for you. Crown and bridge work is a permanent method for replacing missing teeth to help you improve your smile and health.
Crown and bridge procedures permanently replace missing and worn tooth structure. Dr. Wong utilizes very strong, cosmetic dental materials to restore teeth to their natural function and beauty. This technology has evolved so that in certain cases, all-ceramic (porcelain) materials are used. These metal-free restorations are not only very strong but life-like too. Sometimes crowns or bridges are constructed in conjunction with other cosmetic services, such as porcelain laminates, to create an entirely new look. No special maintenance is necessary and the restorations generally last for many years.
Crown and Bridges Treatment Procedures
- Crowns are covers that fit over your teeth to restore and strengthen them. Some reasons for choosing crowns are to cover discolored or unevenly shaped teeth, to protect weak or decayed teeth, to restore a fractured tooth, to attach a bridge or to strengthen teeth after a root canal treatment.
- Crowns can be made of different materials, including acrylic, metal, and porcelain. All porcelain crowns are a good choice for front teeth as they look the most natural. For back teeth, metal crowns covered in porcelain, or all-metal crowns are usually used. Back teeth require a stronger material to withstand the forces of chewing.
- What are the benefits of crowns from a cosmetic and health point of view? A crown can be utilized to repair a chipped or fractured tooth and is by far the best way to protect a weak or badly decayed tooth. A crown is also a very good way to cover a single or number of teeth that are stained or have become yellow due to tetracycline, coffee, tea, or other harsh staining properties.
- A bridge is an artificial tooth used to replace one that is missing. It is attached to your neighboring teeth. One of the benefits of using a bridge to replace a missing tooth (or teeth) is how natural it looks and feels. With proper care, bridges can last for years.
- A bridge can take the place of a missing tooth. It not only improves the look of your smile but also contributes to better dental health. Each tooth has its own important role. Some are used for biting or chewing, others give shape to your face. The support that your teeth provide for each other is compromised when one tooth is missing. Before long, evidence of breakdown is noticed in the remaining teeth, the jaw joint and/or the gums. The use of a bridge or ‘artificial tooth’ can prevent these problems.
- If you are missing a tooth, but have sound, healthy teeth on either side of the gap, a bridge may be a good option for you. A bridge is a replacement tooth which is bonded to adjacent teeth. The benefit to you? You keep the two neighboring teeth intact, instead of having them filed down for a crown as in traditional crown and bridge work. The Healthy Smiles team is interested in helping you receive the least expensive and most appropriate dental treatment possible.
- Dr. Wong and the Healthy Smiles team take great pride in helping all of our patients to have the healthiest most beautiful smile possible. If you have any questions about crowns or bridges, please feel free to speak with one of our Healthy Smiles team members today.